Try this delicious octopus salad recipe, you’ll thank us later!
- 1⁄2 cup dried
- chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 2l veg stock
- Handful parsley, leaves picked and chopped, steams reserved
- 1 kg octopus, cleaned
- 300 g sourdough bread, torn
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp oregano leaves
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 100 g pitted Kalamata olives
- 500 g heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tbsp capers
1. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
2. Bring the stock to the boil in a pot over a medium heat. Add the parsley stalks and season to taste.
3. Slice the octopus head into rings. Add the tentacles to the stock and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes, or until tender. Add the sliced rings for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
4. Remove and transfer the octopus to a bowl. Keep the stock simmering over a low heat. Once the octopus is cold enough to handle, peel off skin and place in a bowl. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the bread. Toss to combine.
5. Add the chickpeas to the stock and cook for 20 minutes or until tender. Strain and discard the parsley stalks.
6. Whisk the remaining oil, vinegar, oregano and garlic together in a bowl. Season to taste. Add the chickpeas and toss to combine.
7. Grill the octopus and bread for 3 minutes over high heat, until charred. Combine the octopus, chickpea mixture, olives, tomatoes, red onion, capers and chopped parsley. Toss gently to combine.