Endive, caramelised walnut, pear and Gorgonzola salad
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 80ml (? cup) sunflower oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- oil, for frying
- 2 pears, sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) walnuts
- 10ml (2 tsp) muscovado or treacle sugar
- 2 whole endives
- 150g Gorgonzola
- freshly ground black pepper, to serve
Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.
Heat a griddle pan to almost smoking, add a splash of olive oil and fry the pears until dark lines appear. Remove and drain on paper towel.
In the same pan, fry the walnuts and sugar, tossing constantly, until the nuts are coated with caramelised sugar. Be careful not to burn them. Place on a piece of baking paper or foil to harden, separating any clumps.
Wash and drain the endives, cut a bit off the bases and cut in half. Toss with the dressing.
Place half an endive in each bowl. Top with the nuts, pears and a wedge of the Gorgonzola. Finish with extra dressing and pepper