Flour soft-shell tacos with grilled corn, spiced black-eyed beans, cashew-nut cream and pineapple and chilli salsa
Flour soft-shell tacos
- 600g cake flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 45g margarine (Cardin or
- Olé brands)
- 475ml lukewarm water
Spiced black-eyed beans
- 300g black-eyed beans, cooked
- ½ small red onion, peeled and chopped
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- ½ small cucumber, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small red chilli, seeded and chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 150g raw cashew nuts
- 100ml water + extra, if needed
- small handful fresh coriander
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
- squeeze lime juice
Pineapple and chilli salsa
- 1 small pineapple, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh coriander, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- sliced avocado
- grilled corn kernel
- fresh micro coriander leaves (optional)
For the tacos, combine the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add the margarine and rub into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Slowly add the water, while mixing. Continue to knead the dough until smooth and elastic, 5 – 10 minutes.
Divide the dough into 8 portions and roll out thinly – you can use a bowl to cut perfect circles. Add a tortilla to a hot, dry pan and cook for 1 – 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
For the black-eyed beans, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and set aside.
For the cashew-nut cream, soak the nuts in the water for 15 minutes. Add the coriander, chilli flakes and lime juice. Season to taste and blitz using a hand blender to form a smooth cream. Add more water if the mixture is too thick.
For the pineapple and chilli salsa, combine the ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
To serve, add some of the spiced beans, cashew-nut cream, salsa, sliced avocado and grilled corn to each flour tortilla. Drizzle with extra cashew-nut cream and scatter with micro coriander, if desired.