Curry is the ideal meal for cooking in advance and freezing.
Fragrant chicken curry
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 cardamom seeds
- 10ml fresh ginger
- 10ml coriander seeds
- 10ml aniseed
- 30ml medium curry powder
- 20ml garam masala
- 20ml ground cumin
- 10ml ground smoked paprika
- 1 red chilli, seeded
- 10 cloves
- 50ml olive oil
- 20ml butter
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1kg chicken pieces
- 3 x 410g tins whole peeled tomatoes, liquidised
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250g baby potatoes
- 125g fine beans
- 1 x 410g tin butter beans, drained
- 4 bay leaves
- 40ml fresh coriander, coarsely chopped
- basmati rice, to serve
Place the garlic and spices in a pestle and mortar, and pound until well combined and fragrant.
In a deep pot heat the olive oil and butter, and sauté the onion for 5 minutes.
Add the spice mixture and cook until the oils and flavours have been released, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the chicken and sauté until well browned and coated with the spices.
Add the tomatoes, season then add the potatoes, fine beans and bay leaves.
Simmer for about 3 hours. Add the butter beans 30 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Serve sprinkled with coriander and basmati rice.
More curry recipes you might enjoy: