Fragrant Malaysian fish curry
- 60ml (¼ cup) desiccated coconut
- 60ml (¼ cup) oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon grass stalk, finely chopped
- 20ml (4 tsp) fish sauce
- 1 x 420g tin coconut milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 20ml (4 tsp) sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 700g hake fillets, sliced
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- basmati rice, to serve
Pan-fry the coconut in a hot wok until just browned. Add the oil, ginger, chilli, garlic and lemon grass, and stirfry for a second. Stir in the fish sauce and coconut milk.
Add the stock, turmeric, sugar and lime juice, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the hake and continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
Season and serve with basmati rice while hot.