The world does not have enough melty, salty, golden-crisped cheese. Fried ricotta with tomato and basil is all you will ever need for a delicious side dish that’s full of flavours. Try not to eat all of these crispy delights by yourself.
Fried ricotta with tomato and basil
- 450g ricotta
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cake flour
- 1 large egg
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250g baby plum tomatoes, halved
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh basil leaves
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive/avocado oil, plus a little extra for frying
- 10ml (2 tsp) red wine vinegar
Beat the ricotta with a fork in a bowl, then mix with the Parmesan, flour and egg until well combined. Season and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Toss the tomatoes, basil and chilli with the oil and vinegar and season.
Heat a dash of oil in a non-stick pan. Drop spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture into the hot pan and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side.
Serve the fried ricotta warm, with the tomato mixture on the side.