This fruit chutney recipe is incredibly easy to make. Serve it with a thick slice of homemade bread, or bottle it, tag it and gift it to friends.
Easy fruit chutney recipe
- 500g fresh plums, stoned and chopped
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and chopped
- 250g pears, cored, peeled and chopped
- 500g muscovado sugar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
Place all the ingredients in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the chutney is reduced and thickened, about 1 hour30 minutes. It will thicken more once it is cooled so don’t worry if it is a little liquid.
Discard the cinnamon stick and pour the hot chutney into jars. It will keep for up to a year if well sealed and stored in a cool, dry place.