Nothing says hoppy Easter like this giant Easter egg cookie!
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photography by Dylan Swart
Giant gooey Easter egg cookie
- cooking spray/butter, to grease
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 250g sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
- 400g cake flour, sifted
- 5ml (1 tsp) bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 125g speckled eggs
- 125g candy-coated
- chocolate buttons (find at woolworths.co.za)
- 80g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- double-thick/thick cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Grease a 23cm round, ovenproof dish. Using hand-held electric beater or a free-standing mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon, then add these dry ingredients to the butter-egg mixture and gently fold them in with a spatula until just combined.
Transfer the cookie mixture to the prepared dish and smooth the top with a spatula. Sprinkle with the speckled eggs, chocolate buttons and chopped milk chocolate, and bake in the preheated oven, 20 – 25 minutes (the centre should still be nice and gooey).
Serve the giant cookie warm, with dollops of double-thick/thick cream or vanilla ice cream.