Ginger, lemon grass and coconut chicken curry, a heart-warming winter’s meal.
Ginger, lemon grass and coconut chicken curry
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh lemon grass, thinly sliced
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh ginger, finely grated
- a pinch of salt
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Thai green curry paste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) brown sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut cream
- 300g chicken thighs, chopped
- 125g baby carrots, peeled
- 200g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 120g baby corn
- 100g sugar snap peas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh baby basil or coriander leaves, to serve
- steamed basmati rice, to serve
Place the garlic, lemon grass, ginger and salt in a pestle and mortar. Grind the mixture until it starts to soften and form a chunky paste. Add the nutmeg and green curry paste and continue grinding to form a smoother paste.
Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion over medium heat until soft and translucent, without browning too much.Turn up the heat and stir in the prepared paste and sugar. Fry for a few minutes to release all the flavour in the spices. Stir in the stock and coconut cream and bring to a gentle simmer. Add the chopped chicken thighs, carrots and potatoes and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the corn and sugar snap peas and cook until everything is tender, about 10 – 12 minutes. Season.
Scatter over the baby basil or coriander leaves and serve with the basmati rice.