Grilled hake with pesto and tartare crust and steamed greens
- 4 portions (200g each) skinless and deboned hake
- 250ml (1 cup) ready-made fresh tartare sauce
- 10ml (2 tsp) basil or rocket pesto
- juice of ½ lemon
- 180ml (¾ cup) coarse breadcrumbs
- salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 230g tenderstem broccoli
- 150g fresh asparagus spears
- 250g baby pak choi
- 150g mange tout
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 125ml (½ cup) red wine vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) sweet chilli sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) chopped basil
- 80ml ( cup) flaked almonds, toasted
- fresh lemon wedges, to serve
- fresh basil, to serve
For the hake, preheat the oven grill. Line a baking tray with baking paper and arrange the hake on the tray.
Stir the tartare sauce, pesto and lemon juice together. Spoon the mixture in an even layer over each piece of fish. Scatter a layer of breadcrumbs on top of the tartare sauce and add a light sprinkling of salt and cracked black pepper.
Put the fish under the grill, being careful not to place it too close to the element – rather place it on the bottom shelf of the oven so it doesn’t brown too quickly. Keep an eye on it while it cooks. Grill until the crumbs are golden and fish is firm and cooked through, 10 – 12 minutes.
For the steamed greens, place the washed veggies in a steamer and cook until tender, 5 – 7 minutes.
To make the dressing for the greens, whisk the oil, vinegar, sweet chilli sauce and basil. Toss the dressing through the warm veggies and top with the toasted almonds.
Serve with fresh lemon wedges and fresh basil leaves scattered on top.