Herby beetroot pickle
- 6 large beetroots, washed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g treacle sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) water
Top and tail the beetroot and cut into chunks. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
Add the onion to the saucepan and fry until softened, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the beetroot and season.
Add the bay leaves, treacle sugar, apple cider vinegar, thyme, rosemary and water.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the beetroot has cooked and most of the liquid hasevaporated, about 20 – 25 minutes.
Serve with a selection of roast meats or stews.
- COOK’S TIP
Fill sterilised glass jars with any remaining pickle and store in the fridge for up to one week.