- 1 onion, sliced or chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil + extra, for
- 1,5kg lamb knuckle, roughly chopped
- 4 – 5 sun-dried limes, skin pierced
- salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground coriander
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) sugar
- water, to cover meat
- 4 large aubergines
- sour grapes (optional), to serve
- basmati rice, to serve
- potato tahdig (optional), to serve
- sour currants (optional), to serve
Fry the onion in oil in a deep pot over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the meat and sun-dried limes and fry until the meat has browned.
Add salt, pepper, turmeric, coriander, tomato paste and sugar, and stir well. Cover the meat with water and stir. Cover with a lid, reduce heat to medium and simmer until meat is cooked but still on the bone. Keep checking the gravy level and add water if necessary.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Peel the aubergines and slice lengthways into 3. Brush lightly with oil. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven until tender and golden, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Place the roasted aubergine on top of meat in the pot, making sure the gravy covers the aubergines. Cook over low heat, without a lid, for about 30 minutes. The gravy should soak through the aubergines and slightly reduce. The meat and sun-dried limes should be tender. Garnish with sour grapes.
Serve with basmati rice and potato