Kudu and Chantarel mushrooms
- 1,5kg meaty beef stock bones (with lots of marrow, including knuckle bones if possible)
- 50ml water
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 500g onions, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 250g carrots, roughly chopped
- 250g celery, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 45ml (3 tbsp) tomato paste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the kudu bones on a roasting tray and roast in the oven, 1 hour.
Discard the fat from the tray then deglaze with the water. Keep the juices aside.
Heat the oil in a stock pot over medium heat and add the remaining stock ingredients (except the water and kudu bones). Sauté the vegetables until the onions are translucent and slightly brown, about 15 minutes. Add the water and beef juice from the pan and the roasted bones and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, 8 hours.
Allow the stock to cool and strain through muslin cloth into a large container.