TO DRINK: Glen Carlou Chardonnay 2007, with creaminess to support the different layers in this dish.
Layered pap bake
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250g button mushrooms, sliced
- 100ml dry white wine
- 2 x 410g tins whole peeled tomatoes, chopped and mixed back in with the juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh basil, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1,75 litres water
- 360g (3 cups) mielie meal
- 15ml (1 tbsp) salt
- 1 x 410g tin sweet corn, rinsed
- 200ml Parmesan, grated
- cherry tomatoes, halved, to serve
- fresh sprouts, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
For the sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine, tomatoes and herbs. Cover the pot and cook the sauce until it thickens, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking. Season and set aside.
For the pap, pour the water into a pot and add the mielie meal and salt. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, then stir in the sweet corn and remove from the heat.
Spoon a layer of pap into the bottom of a greased, ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of sauce. Repeat until the dish is full. Cover with the Parmesan and bake until the cheese is golden, about 40 minutes. Serve garnished with the tomatoes and sprouts.