True to tradition, eggplant is the star of this Lebanese baba ganoush. Cooking in the oven gives the vegetables a soft smokiness and delicious, slightly crispy skin. Perfect for a filling, no-meat lunch or dinner.
Lebanese baba ganoush
- 6 large aubergines, sliced lengthways
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) thick Greek yoghurt
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- fresh crusty bread, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the aubergine on a large baking tray. Drizzle with 15ml (1 tbsp) of the olive oil and the ground cumin. Season and bake in the oven until soft and slightly charred, about 30 minutes.
Remove the aubergine from the oven and allow to cool.
Scoop the flesh from the aubergine skin into a large bowl. Combine the cooled aubergine with the remaining olive oil, yoghurt, fresh mint and seasoning.
Serve with plenty of crusty bread