A sweet and zesty teatime treat or dessert. The citrusy zing of lemons and grapefruits is perfect with buttery pastry.
Lemon and grapefruit squares
- 100g soft butter, plus extra for greasing
- 60ml (¼ cup) castor sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) cake flour
- a pinch of salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
- zest of ½ grapefruit
- 250ml (1 cup) castor sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) grapefruit juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) lemon juice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) self-raising flour
- 4 large eggs
- whipped vanilla cream, to serve
Preheat the oven to 160°C. Lightly grease a 30cm x 20cm rectangular baking dish or baking tin.
For the pastry, cream the butter and sugar together for 1 minute. Whisk in the flour, salt and vanilla essence. Press the pastry into the greased dish and bake for 15 minutes until golden.
Prepare the filling by whisking all the ingredients together. Pour over the pre-baked pastry and return to the oven for 15 – 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Allow to cool and place in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
Slice into squares and serve with whipped vanilla cream.