Lemon-marinated prawns with a sweet chilli dip
- 40 tiger prawns, cleaned and deveined, tails intact
- handful fresh herbs (coriander, basil, mint, parsley), chopped
- juice of 4 large lemons
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
- good-quality Asian chilli sauce, to serve
- soy sauce, to serve
- fresh coriander, to serve
Thread the prawns onto bamboo skewers (one prawn on each skewer) and marinate in the herbs, lemon juice, salt and pepper for at least 40 minutes.
Brown the prawns in a very hot pan until almost cooked, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside until needed.
When ready to serve, cover the skewers with foil so that they don’t burn, and grill the prawns under the hot oven grill for about 3 minutes.
Serve hot with the chilli sauce, soy sauce and coriander.
To drink: The aromatic and slightly sweet Paul Cluver Weisser Riesling 2008 goes beautifully with sweet chilli.