A good chicken roast will always go a long way! It’s enough to feed a family of 4 and you can use the leftovers (if there are any) to make delicious sandwiches for lunch the next day!
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photograph by Dylan Swart
ALSO TRY: roast chicken with lemon and herbs
Lemon and rosemary roast chicken with chorizo stuffing
- olive oil, to fry
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- large handful fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 225g chorizo, peeled of the casing and sliced
- 140g multigrain bread (crusts on)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 free-range chicken
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and cut in half
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- large knob butter, softened
- 1 lemon, sliced
- fresh chopped rosemary leaves and sprigs, to sprinkle
Preheat the oven to 180°C. For the stuffing, heat a little olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté the onion and sage until soft, 10 minutes, before adding the 2 cloves of minced garlic and frying for a further minute. Tip the onion and garlic mixture into a blender. In the same pan, fry the chorizo until crispy, then add this and the remaining stuffing ingredients to the onion and garlic in the blender. Blitz until almost fine. Season to taste.
Place your chicken in a roasting dish. Stuff your chicken with the stuffing. Rub the chicken skin with the garlic-clove halves, mustard and butter, sprinkle with the rosemary and top with the lemon slices.
Roast the chicken in the preheated oven until the skin is golden and a small incision on the thigh reveals that the juices run clear, 1 hour – 1 hour 30 minutes.