Recipe by Camilla & Jason Comins
Lentil and butternut salad
- 1 butternut, peeled and cubed
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- olive oil, to drizzle + 200ml extra, for dressing
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g (¼ cup) brown sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 sage leaves, torn + extra, to serve
- 200g (1 cup) brown lentils
- 80ml malt vinegar
- 10ml (2 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) smoked paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh green beans, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Toss the butternut, paprika, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and sugar together. Season and roast until soft, about 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool. Add the torn sage leaves.
Boil the lentils until soft but not mushy, 20 – 25 minutes. Strain and rinse with cold water. Set aside to drain. Dress the lentils with the vinegar, 200ml olive oil, mustard, smoked paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
To assemble the salad, place a bed of lentils on the plate, top with butternut, drizzle with olive oil, garnish with sage leaves and serve with green beans.