Not that anyone could ever get bored of burgers, but mini burgers done three ways are a delicious way to step up your game. Each one is more delicious than the last!
View this post on Instagram
Mini Mexican beef burgers
Serves: 6 | Difficulty level: Easy | Time: 40 minutes + 2 hours, to marinate
- 200ml water
- juice of 1 lemon
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) sea salt
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 250g lean beef mince
- 3ml jalapeño chillies, chopped
- ½ green pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50ml fresh ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 6 mini bread rolls
- 100g guacamole
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 jalapeño chillies, sliced
- 5 Rosa tomatoes, sliced
- For the marinade, whisk all the ingredients together and set aside in a flat storage container.
- For the patties, mix all the ingredients together, except the oil, and shape into six 8cm round, flat patties. Carefully place in the marinade and refrigerate to rest, 2 hours. Remove patties from the marinade and pat dry with paper towel. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and fry the patties, 10 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- To serve, cut the bread rolls in half and toast the open side on a non-stick pan over high heat, 2 minutes. Place a dollop of guacamole on each bread roll, position your patties and top with slices of avocado, chilli and tomato.
Mini chakalaka burgers
Serves: 6 | Difficulty level: Easy | Time: 1 hour + 1 hour, to rest
- 400 g stone-ground flour, sifted + extra, to dust
- 7 g yeast
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- pinch salt
- 100 ml lukewarm water
- 5 ml (1 tsp) olive oil
- 16 g butter, softened
- olive or avocado oil, to fry
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mild curry powder
- 2 carrots, grated
- 50 ml water
- 100 g baked beans
- 50 ml hot vegetable achar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mayonnaise
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cake flour
- For the bread rolls, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the water. Stir to mix and then knead the dough, 10 minutes. Coat the dough with the oil and place in a large bowl. Cover and rest in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Knead the butter into the dough and roll into 6 small balls in the palms of your hands. Shape the balls into squares (about 10cm thick) and leave to rest, 15 minutes. Bake on a greased baking tray, 20 minutes.
- For the patties, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and sauté the onion, green pepper and garlic, 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and carrots and cook, 10 minutes. Add the water and cook until the carrots are soft, 10 minutes. Stir in the beans, achar and mayonnaise. Set aside to cool, 15 minutes.
- Keep 45ml (3 tbsp) mixture aside and stir the eggs and flour into the remaining mixture. Shape into 6 patties and fry in oil in a non-stick saucepan over medium heat, 3 – 5 minutes on each side.
- To serve, cut the bread rolls in half, assemble the patties on them and top with the remaining chakalaka sauce.
Greek chicken pita rolls
Serves: 6 | Difficulty level: Easy | Time: 15 minutes + 1 hour, to drain
- 1 small cucumber
- 125 g full-cream Greek yoghurt
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 200 g free-range chicken breasts, cut into thick strips
- 3 fresh oregano sprigs
- juice of 1 lemon
- 6 mini pita breads
- small handful cucumber slices, to serve
- Grate the cucumber and place in a muslin cloth to drain the water, 1 hour. Place the cucumber in a bowl and mix with the yoghurt. Season to taste.
- Place the oil in a saucepan over high heat and fry the chicken strips and oregano until the chicken is cooked, 10 – 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice and cook for a further 3 minutes. Season to taste. Warm the pita according to packaging instructions and cut in half.
- Place the chicken in the pita together with the cucumber mixture. Serve topped with cucumber slices.
Recipes by Thulisa Martins