TO DRINK: Mosel Riesling, with lightly balanced fruit and acidity.
Mozzarella, pancetta and basil fritters with roasted tomatoes
- 3 large mozzarella balls, grated
- 100g pancetta, finely sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh basil, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g fresh Parmesan, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil, for frying
Combine the mozzarella, pancetta, egg and basil in a mixing bowl and season.
Wet your hands lightly and form flat fritters from the mozzarella mixture.
In a clean bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Dip each fritter in the crumb mixture to coat well, then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the fritters until golden. Drain on paper towel.
For the tomatoes, heat the oil and fry the tomatoes until they just pop open. Season and toss through the garlic.
Serve the mozzarella fritters with the tomatoes and crusty bread.