Recipe by Debbie Payne
Makes: a 130g jar, serves 2 (in pasta)
Difficulty level: Easy
Time: 10 minutes
100g marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained
20g Parmesan, finely grated
15g biltong, finely grated
20g almonds, finely chopped
pinch cayenne pepper
135ml olive oil + extra, if needed
- Add all ingredients to a food processor, except the oil, and blitz. Drizzle in the oil, while blending, until it forms a coarse, textured paste.
Cook’s tip: Depending on the type of sun-dried tomatoes used and how hydrated they are, it may require more oil to get the pesto to the correct consistency
Mushroom biltong pesto & sun-dried tomato and biltong pesto
- pinch fresh rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 140g tinned mushrooms, drained
- 10g Parmesan, finely grated
- 15g biltong, finely grated
- 30g black olives, pitted
- 50g olive oil
- 20g almonds, finely chopped
Add all ingredients to a food processor, except the oil and almonds, and blitz. Drizzle in the oil, while blending, until it forms a coarse, textured paste. Stir in the almonds.
Refrigerate to use or, if wanting to bottle, place in sterilised jars and put into a bath of boiling water and boil, 10 – 15 minutes. The lid will become a bit swollen. Remove from the water and cool. The lid should form a suction and the pesto should last two weeks on the shelf.