The perfect dish for a one-pot, informal supper, which can be made in less than 30 minutes!
Recipe by Aqua Food and Catering
Photograph by Catharine Swayde Photography & Design
Mussel and saffron soup
- 100g butter
- 4 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) saffron threads
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) Maldon Smoked Sea Salt
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) freshly gound black pepper
- 800g mussel meat
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 375ml (1½ cups) dry white wine
- 1,2L water
- 30ml (2 tbsp) powdered chicken stock
- 800g half-shell mussels
- 200ml fresh cream
- large handful fresh parsley, chopped
Place a 3L-capacity pot or saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the finely chopped onions. Allow the onions to cook until soft, 10 minutes. Add the saffron and turmeric while the onions are softening, stirring occasionally.
Add the Maldon Smoked Sea Salt, black pepper and the mussel meat (if you are using frozen mussel meat, there’s no need to defrost them). Add the crushed garlic and stir the mixture while cooking, 3 – 5 minutes.
Add the dry white wine and turn the heat up to high. Add the water and the chicken stock, and bring the mixture to a boil, 10 minutes.
Turn the heat back down to medium-high and add the half-shell mussels. Allow the soup to just reach a boil and then add the fresh cream. Stir through and add the fresh parsley once ready to serve.
To make this recipe without the white wine, add 250ml (1 cup) water with an extra 7,5ml (1½ tsp) stock and the juice of 1 lemon.
More delicious recipes from Mark and Carmen’s wedding: