- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) tomato paste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) baby capers
- 150g sun-dried tomatoes in brine/oil, drained
- 250g Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) soy sauce
- 5ml (1 tsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 x 410g tin tomato and onion relish
- 10ml (2 tsp) freshly squeezed
- lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper, to tast
To make the chutney, heat the butter and oil in a heavy-based pot on medium heat. Braise (with a wooden spoon) the celery, carrot, bay leaf, garlic and tomato paste, and stir until the carrot is softened.
Stir in the mustard, brown sugar, capers and sun-dried tomatoes, until the sugar has melted.
Add the chopped olives, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and basil, and stir for a minute. Add the tomato and onion relish, lemon juice and black pepper.
Simmer over very low heat for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally so the thickening chutney does not stick to the bottom of the pot. Serve hot or cold.