Recipe by Thulisa Martins
Okinawa is the largest of Japan’s Ryukyu Islands. Okinawan soba, the signature dish, consists of wheat noodles served in hot soup with pork.
Okinawa: Soki soba stir-fry
- 30g 15cm-long kombu kelp or black seaweed sheets
- 500ml (2 cups) hot water
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 2 red chillies, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced + extra, to serve
- 500g pork spare ribs, cooked, bones removed and thinly sliced
- 50ml soya sauce
- udon noodles, cooked, to serve
- edible flowers, to serve
Soak the kombu kelp or black seaweed in the water until soft, 15 minutes. Drain and keep warm.
Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and sauté the ginger, chilli and garlic, 5 minutes. Add the spring onions and spare ribs and stirfry, 5 minutes. Stir in the soya sauce and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Serve with udon noodles and the kombu or black seaweed. Garnish with spring onions and edible flowers.