Recipe by Jules Mercer
Onion and sweet potato upside-down tart
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 3 red onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 500g sweet potato, cut into 1cm-thick wedges
- 200ml dry white wine
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh thyme leaves
- 5ml (1 tsp) balsamic vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 150g Tallegio cheese (or other mild cheese), cut into 1cm cubes
- 400g ready-made puff pastry
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Heat the oil with the butter in a 24cm ovenproof frying pan. Fry the onions and sweet potatoes for a few minutes until browned.
Remove the onions and add the wine and stock to the pan. Cook until the liquid has evaporated and the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Return the onions to the pan and remove from the heat. Stir in the thyme, balsamic and sugar. Place the cheese on top.
Roll out the puff pastry, cut out a round a little bigger than the frying pan and place on top of the vegetables. Tuck in the sides neatly and make a couple of slits in the pastry with a knife to let the steam out.
Bake the tart in its pan in the oven until golden and cooked, about 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before loosening with a knife, inverting it and turning it out. Serve warm.