Fun idea! Try these ostrich sausages with tomato and lentils on the braai instead of boerewors. It’s a fun twist on a South African braai-favourite.
Ostrich sausages with tomato and lentils
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- 500g ostrich sausages
- 100ml good-quality beef stock
- 1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 15ml tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, roasted, peeled and sliced into strips
- 1 yellow pepper, roasted, peeled and sliced into strips
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté the garlic, onion, carrot and celery. Allow to cook for 3 minutes then add the sausages and brown on both sides.
Add the stock, tomatoes and tomato paste, and allow to simmer over a gentle heat for 10 minutes.
Add the lentils, peppers and bay leaves, and simmer for a further 5 minutes until heated through. Season.
Serve warmed through with crusty bread.