TO DRINK: Obikwa’s great-value fruity rose is a lovely lunchtime wine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 160ml olive oil
- 80ml red wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) caperberries, drained
- 4 anchovy fillets, optional
- 150g vine-ripened Rosa tomatoes, halved
- ½ a cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper, diced
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh basil leaves, torn
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ ciabatta bread (slightly stale works best), torn into chunky pieces
- 15ml (1 tbsp) pesto
Whisk the garlic, 125ml (½ cup) of the oil and the vinegar to make a dressing. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine the caperberries, anchovies, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, peppers, olives and basil. Season.
Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss gently to coat. Allow to stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour for the flavours to develop. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Spread the bread pieces on a large baking tray in a single layer. Dry in the oven for about 10 minutes. Pour the pesto and remaining oil over and bake until golden brown and crunchy, about 10 minutes.
Serve the salad topped with the bread.