Pattypan and bulgur-wheat sushi with mango-chilli dip
PATTYPAN & BULGUR-WHEAT SUSHI
- 100g bulgur wheat
- 3 nori sheets (available at leading- and
- Asian supermarkets)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 150g raw salmon, cut into small chunks
- 250g pattypans, steamed and sliced
- 200g smoked salmon, sliced into strips
- 2 large cucumbers, shaved
- 1 x 410g tin mango slices,
- drained and puréed
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) soya sauce
- pinch sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- small handful fresh coriander,
- finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- snipped chives, to garnish
For the sushi, cook the bulgur wheat according to packet instructions.
To assemble the sushi, lay a nori sheet on a sushi mat or tea towel. With wet hands, spread a thin layer of wheat over the sheet of nori and press down. Arrange some avocado, raw-salmon chunks and pattypan slices in a line down the centre of the wheat. Lift the end of the mat or tea towel and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing gently, into a tight sushi roll. Repeat with the remaining nori, wheat, raw salmon chunks and most of the pattypan slices and avocado. Wrap some of the nori rolls with the shaved cucumber and others in smoked salmon strips. Cut each roll into 3 slices using a sharp, wet knife. Use the leftover salmon slices to wrap the remaining avocado and pattypan slices to form salmon rolls.
For the dip, mix everything together and season to taste.
Serve the sushi rolls garnished with chopped chives and with a side of dipping sauce.