This simple peri-peri aubergine and chickpea stew is a vegetarian stew that can be beefed up a little by adding bacon or even chorizo sausage. It makes a delicious weeknight supper.
Peri-peri aubergine and chickpea stew
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10ml peri-peri powder
- 10ml smoked paprika
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 125ml white wine
- 1 large bouquet garni of thyme,
- rosemary, parsley and a bay leaf
- 2 x 410g tins chickpeas, drained
- 2 medium-sized aubergines, diced
- 300g baby spinach
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Fry the onion and garlic until soft, add the peri-peri and smoked paprika, and fry for another minute before adding the tomatoes, wine, bouquet garni and chickpeas.
Allow the stew to simmer uncovered for 15 minutes before adding the aubergines. Simmer until they are soft and cooked through, about another 10 – 15 minutes.
Add the baby spinach just before serving and allow it to simply wilt into the sauce.
Adjust the seasoning and serve with thick slices of toasted bread rubbed with garlic.