Picnic pesto penne
- 400g tomatoes on the vine
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- salt flakes, to taste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 2L (8 cups) penne pasta, cooked
- according to packet instructions
- 160ml pesto (see recipe below)
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g bocconcini, drained
- a large handful of marjoram
- a large handful of basil
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray and sprinkle with olive or avocado oil and salt flakes. Roast in the oven until blistered, about 15 minutes.
Mix the warm pasta with the pesto. Season with black pepper.
Layer the pasta, tomatoes, bocconcini and herbs into 4 jars and seal. Serve at room temperature.
100g pine nuts
100g Parmesan or pecorino cheese, grated
1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
2 large handfuls of basil, washed
125ml (½ cup) olive oil
125ml (½ cup) canola oil
salt, to taste
- Place the pine nuts, cheese, garlic and herbs in a food processor and process until smooth.
- While the machine is running, add the oils in a steady stream. Mix until combined. Season to taste.
- Spoon into a jar and top with olive oil. Store in the fridge for later use.