Porcini rice pudding
- 1,25 litres (5 cups) milk
- 1 bay leaf
- sprigs of fresh thyme
- 125ml (½ cup) dried
- porcini mushrooms
- 200g (1 cup) arborio or risotto rice
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) Parmesan or pecorino, grated
- 100g butter
- small bunch fresh sage leaves
- 50g pine nuts
Place the milk in a saucepan and infuse with the bay leaf, thyme and porcini mushrooms over low heat. Discard the bay leaf and thyme and add the rice.
Increase the heat and bring the milk to the boil. Reduce the heat again to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the rice is tender, about 25 – 30 minutes. Season with the nutmeg and black pepper and add the Parmesan, stirring until it is completelymelted. Adjust the seasoning.
Melt the butter in a small pan and cook over low heat until it starts to caramelise and go nutty. Add the sage leaves and pine nuts. Remove from the heat.
Ladle the rice pudding into 4 bowls and drizzle some of the brown butter over each. Serve.