Portuguese spring peas
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 1 chorizo, sliced
- 6 bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 500g frozen peas, rinsed
- 125ml (1 cup) water
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika + extra, to garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- small handful fresh coriander, to taste
- 2 spring onions, kept whole
- 4 eggs
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and sauté the chorizo and bacon until crispy. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the rinsed peas and the water, followed by the paprika, salt and pepper, sugar, coriander and spring onions. Cover and simmer until cooked, about 10 minutes.
Using a spoon, make four wells in the cooked peas and carefully crack an egg into each well. Cover and cook until the eggs are done to your liking, 3 – 4 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.
Cook’s tip: Substitute the peas for broad beans for variation.