This hot and healthy vegetable soup will warm hearts this winter.
By Taryne Jakobi
Photograph by Vanessa Lewis
Potato soup with chorizo and smoked olive salsa
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 500ml (2 cups) leeks, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 375ml (1½ cups) fresh cream
- 200g chorizo sausage, diced
- 50g smoked olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 50ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat and sauté the leeks, celery, onion and garlic until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the potatoes, stock, seasoning and thyme. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are soft, about 20 – 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
Add the cream and purée until smooth. Reheat gently for serving.
To make the salsa, fry the chorizo in a hot frying pan. Add the olives and parsley. Toss to combine well. Serve the soup hot topped with the salsa.