Recipe by Illanique van Aswegen
Radicchio salad with mango-wrapped mozzarella and curried coconut dressing
- 10ml (2 tsp) sesame oil
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground ginger
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) chilli powder
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground cumin
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground cardamom
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
- 2 mangoes
- 300g mini fresh mozzarella balls (bocconcini – about 3 balls per person)
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh coriander leaves
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh mixed herbs (pea shoots, mint, microherbs)
- 100g radicchio leaves
- 2 avocados, diced
- 250ml (1 cup) tinned kidney beans, drained
For the dressing, heat the oil in a pan until hot. Carefully add the cumin seeds and fry for 10 seconds. Remove from heat and add the remaining spices. Toast the spices for 20 seconds. Stir in the coconut cream and bring to a gentle boil for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
For the salad, peel the mangoes and use a vegetable peeler to peel off strips of mango flesh. Use these strips to wrap around each mozzarella ball. Keep the leftover shavings for the salad.
Toss together the coriander leaves, mixed herbs and radicchio leaves. Top with avocado and kidney beans.
Arrange the mozzarella balls in the salad and scatter the remaining mango shavings on top. Serve with the dressing on the side.
Add smoked chicken for meat lovers.