Retro salad is, as the name suggests, a mealtime classic. This combination of salty dressing, light fish and mixed greens is tastily timeless. Serve as a dinner side or light lunch. These flavours are guaranteed to please!
- 250ml (1 cup) good quality mayonnaise
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato purée
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- a handful of fresh chives and dill, chopped
- 1 tot vodka
- Tabasco, to taste
- celery salt, to taste
- fresh chilli, to taste
- fresh ginger, to taste
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 2 packets baby lettuce leaves
- 1 packet radicchio
- 2 bunches watercress
- 2 avocados
- 3 large or 6 baby beetroot, diced
- 1 cucumber, sliced into ribbons
- 6 spring onions, finely shredded
- 400g prawns, peeled and cooked
- 200g smoked trout or salmon
- fresh lemon wedges, to serve
- fresh chilli (optional), seeded and thinly sliced, to serve
For the dressing, mix together the mayonnaise, tomato purée, lemon juice, herbs and vodka. Season to taste with Tabasco, celery salt, chilli and ginger. Slowly add the oil, stirring until you have a thick, pouring consistency.
Assemble a bed of lettuce leaves, radicchio and watercress on a platter. Add thinly sliced avocado, diced beetroot, cucumber ribbons and spring onions.
Top with cooked prawns and smoked trout or salmon, and spoon over a generous amount of retro prawn cocktail dressing.
Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with fresh chilli.