TO DRINK: Simonsig Redhill Pinotage 2006, with sweet berry fruit and lovely earthiness.
Roast mushrooms with caramelised onion and ricotta
- 8 medium black mushrooms, peeled and stalks removed
- 3 large onions, sliced and fried until caramelised
- 125ml (½ cup) ricotta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5ml (1 tsp) olive oil
- 16 ripe cherry tomatoes, crushed
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh watercress
- 60ml (¼ cup) pine nuts, toasted
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the mushrooms on a roasting tray and stuff with the onion and ricotta. Season, drizzle with the oil and bake for about 20 minutes.
Arrange 2 mushrooms on each plate with the tomatoes and watercress. Sprinkle over the nuts and serve immediately.