This roasted vegetable salad with caramelised nuts and seeds pair well and an oaked Chenin Blanc. Chenin Blanc is fruity with a hint of spice and it pairs perfectly with the sweet vegetables and nutty seeds. Try this salad as a delicious side to any roast.
Roasted vegetable salad with caramelised nuts and seeds
- 1 small butternut, thickly sliced
- 3 sweet potatoes, cut into quarters
- 10 baby carrots, halved
- 6 parsnips
- 6 beetroots, halved
- 2 heads of garlic, halved
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cumin seeds
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fennel seeds
- CARAMELISED NUTS AND SEEDS
- 30ml (2 tbsp) pumpkin seeds
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sunflower seeds
- 60ml (¼ cup) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- a handful of rocket, to serve
- 100g plain feta, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the vegetables and garlic on a baking tray and sprinkle with the olive oil and spices. Roast until the vegetables are cooked and golden, about 1 hour.
For the caramelised nuts and seeds, combine the pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts and sprinkle onto greased baking paper.
Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and caramelise the sugar, about 10 minutes. Pour over the prepared seeds and nuts to cover them completely.
Leave to cool and break into shards just before serving.
Remove the roast vegetables from the oven and leave to cool slightly.
Serve the vegetables with rocket, chunks of feta and thecaramelised nuts and seeds.