TO DRINK: Dornier Donatus White, with chenin and semillon to suit the sage, bacon and spring onion.
Rolled chicken, sage and pancetta skewers with spring onion skordalia
- 350g potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) white wine vinegar
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) lemon juice
- 125ml (½ cup) olive/avocado oil
- 2 spring onions, finely diced
- 8 chicken breast fillets
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125ml (½ cup) ready-made basil pesto
- 8 slices pancetta (or Parma ham)
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- olive oil, for frying, plus extra to serve
- 500ml (2 cups) broad beans, blanched
For the skordalia, boil the potatoes until tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a food processor with the garlic, vinegar, lemon juice and oil. Blend until smooth, then stir in the spring onions. Cover and set aside at room temperature until needed.
Flatten each chicken fillet slightly and season. Spread pesto on each fillet, and top with a slice of pancetta and 3 sage leaves. Roll each breast up and cut into 3 equal slices.
Push the rolls onto 8 skewers. Heat the oil and shallow-fry the chicken skewers on all sides until cooked through.
Drizzle the broad beans with the extra oil. Serve the beans with the skewers, with the skordalia on the side.