This rolled stuffed fillet of beef with horseradish crust pairs will with an Italian sangiovese with strong tannins that stand up to the robust flavours and textures of beef.
Rolled stuffed fillet of beef with horseradish crust
- 750g fillet of beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 80ml (1/3 cup) pesto (homemade or shop-bought)
- 50g sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, finely chopped
- 50g black olives, drained and chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 45ml (3 tbsp) horseradish sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- potato wedges, parsnips and carrots, roasted with onions, rosemary and whole garlic cloves, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Using a sharp knife, slice beef fillet lengthways along one side, making sure not to slice through to the other side.
Open the beef, flatten and season.
Spread pesto over most of the beef, leaving 5 – 7cm at one end.
Sprinkle the sun-dried tomatoes and olives over the pesto-covered beef, topping with the celery.
Starting with the sprinkled end of the beef, carefully roll the fillet up over the filling. Tie the rolled stuffed fillet with string.
Rub with olive oil, place in a roasting pan and roast the beef for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, make the horseradish crust by mixing together all of the ingredients in a bowl.
Remove beef from oven, remove string and carefully press the horseradish crust mixture firmly and evenly over top and sides. Return to the oven until the breadcrumbs are golden, about 30 minutes.
Serve sliced beef fillet with roasted vegetables.