Rooibos-infused lamb shank served with grilled vegetables
- Rooibos-infused lamb shank
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100ml olive oil
- 4 red onions, finely chopped
- 8 x 400g French cut lamb shanks
- 260g cake flour + extra, if needed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 25ml (5 tsp) brown sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 40ml beef stock, dissolved in 1L boiled water
- 4 Laager Rooibos tea bags brewed/steeped in 1L boiled water
- 250ml (1 cup) white vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Grilled vegetables
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 1kg fresh vegetables, roasted
- 1 small butternut, peeled and chopped into 2cm chunks
- 6 baby marrows, chopped
- 500g small mushrooms
- 250g green beans
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- garlic and mixed herb seasoning, to taste
- 500ml (2 cups) full-cream milk
- 25ml (5 tsp) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- small handful fresh parsley, to garnish
For the lamb shank, melt the butter with the olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add the onions and fry until brown. Cover the lamb shanks in flour and add to the onion mix. Briefly sear the meat. Add the garlic, sugar and mustard to the meat. Brown the meat until light golden brown. Remove the lamb shanks from the pot.
To the same pot, add the tomato paste, beef stock, Rooibos tea, vinegar and salt and pepper and stir well (preserve some of the sauce). Add the meat to the pot, decrease the heat and simmer, just over 2 hours. Regularly check the meat and add more Rooibos tea if the meat starts to look a bit dry.
For the grilled vegetables, preheat oven to 230°C. Spread a large baking tray with the olive oil and evenly spread the roast vegetables, butternut, baby marrows, mushrooms, green beans and red peppers on the tray. Add some garlic and mixed herb seasoning. Cover the vegetables with foil and place in the oven, 15 minutes. Remove the foil and rearrange the vegetables before placing the tray back into the oven until the vegetables become crispy, about 5 minutes.
Serve the Rooibos-infused lamb shank with the grilled vegetables. Add a side of mashed potatoes if desired.