Thinly cut beef and avocado is a match made in heaven. The tangy mayonnaise and crunchy salsa make it even better.
Seared beef carpaccio with avocado and pepper salsa and watercress mayonnaise
- 450g beef fillet, trimmed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red onion, finely chopped
- 170ml (? cup) red pepper, finely chopped
- 170ml (? cup) yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 10 – 12 caperberries, stems removed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 avocado, finely chopped
- a squeeze of lemon juice
- 170ml ready-made mayonnaise
- 5 sprigs of watercress
- 125ml (½ cup) micro herbs
- olive oil
Heat a pan on high heat. Drizzle some olive oil onto the fillet and season. Sear the fillet on all sides, about 1 – 2 minutes per side. Remove the meat from the pan and rest it for 10 minutes.
Roll the meat up tightly in plastic wrap to form a cylinder shape. Secure the ends and place it in the fridge for 3 – 4 hours.
To make the salsa, combine the onion, peppers, caperberries and avocado and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Using a hand blender, blend the mayonnaise and watercress for a few seconds until smooth.
Unwrap the beef and, using a very sharp knife, slice it very thinly. Place about 8 slices of beef onto each serving plate and scatter the salsa and micro herbs on top. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with the mayonnaise on the side.
Cook's tip: For best results, sear and roll the beef the night before and keep it in the fridgeuntil serving time. This allows the beef to firm up and form a neat cylinder shape.