Sesame-crusted tuna with lemon mayonnaise and green ratatouille
- 5ml (1 tsp) avocado oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic, crushed
- ½ red onion, diced
- 500ml (2 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 450g (5) baby marrows, thinly sliced
- 100g fine beans, sliced
- 250g fresh or frozen peas
- 100g sugar snaps
- ½ small head (150g) broccoli
- 125ml (½ cup) tinned tomatoes
- salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 fresh tuna steaks
- 60ml (¼ cup) sesame seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 125ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 15ml (1 tbsp) chives, finely chopped
For the ratatouille, heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion and tomatoes, and fry for 2 minutes. Add the baby marrows, beans, peas, sugar snaps, broccoli and tinned tomatoes. Increase heat, cover with a lid and cook until tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Season.
For the tuna, lightly season the tuna steaks with salt and cracked black pepper. Coat with sesame seeds.
Heat the butter and oil in a pan over high heat and sear each portion for 1½ – 2 minutes per side, depending on the thickness and how you prefer your tuna.
For the mayonnaise, stir all of the ingredients together and serve alongside each portion.
Cook's tip: Cook the tuna to your liking – if you like it quite rare then sear it for a few seconds or if you prefer it well done, fry it for slightly longer than the cooking time mentioned above. The tuna can also be cooked in a griddle pan for extra flavour.