This salad is one of my favourites, with all its different flavours and fresh herbs.
TO DRINK: Pol Roger Champagne was Winston Churchill’s tipple of choice. The Brut Reserve NV matched with this salad makes a delicious combination.
Sliced haloumi salad with a creamy dressing
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 45ml (3 tbsp) mayonnaise
- 30ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) castor sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh dill, finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) balsamic glaze
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 125g haloumi, thinly sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh dill, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh chives, chopped
- 150g mixed salad leaves
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 100g cherry tomatoes
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
For the dressing, blend all the ingredients together in a food processor and chill until needed.
Preheat the grill and line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place the haloumi on the baking tray directly under the grill and grill on one side only until the cheese just begins to melt. Let it cool slightly, then place the slices in a bowl. Drizzle with a quarter of the dressing and sprinkle with the herbs. Set aside until needed (do not refrigerate).
Mix the salad leaves, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes and onion in a bowl, top with the haloumi and drizzle with the remaining dressing.