TO DRINK: Sterhuis Methode Cap Classique
Slow roasted tomatoes topped with grilled goat’s cheese and crispy bacon lardons on a grilled artichoke and watercress salad
- olive oil
- 8 large or 16 small ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh basil, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 300g bacon lardons
- 2 x 390g jars marinated artichoke hearts
- 2 handfuls washed watercress per portion
- 4 goat’s cheese logs, cut into rounds
- juice of 2 lemons
Preheat the oven to 120°C.
Drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes and rub with garlic, basil and thyme. Season and roast in the oven for 3 hours.
Fry the lardons in a hot pan until crispy. Remove the excess oil with paper towel.
Drain the artichokes and cut them in halves. Heat a griddle pan until smoking and grill the artichokes on each side until char lines appear, about one minute.
Start plating with the watercress at the bottom, followed by the artichokes and tomatoes, and finally scatter with lardons. Place the goat’s cheese on top of the tomatoes. Use a kitchen blowtorch to grill the top of the cheese until golden brown or put it under the oven grill. Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice, and seaso