This carpaccio-style salad looks beautiful when plated in a thin single layer. It’s healthy, colourful and full of flavour.
How to buy and store pomegranates
Choose pomegranates that are unblemished, firm and heavy for their size. They come in different shades of deep pink and ruby red. Store unopened pomegranates in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Recipe and styling by Illanique van Aswegen
Photograph by Adel Ferreira
Smoked salmon, red onion and pomegranate salad with creamy dill dressing
- 280g (1¼ cups) Bulgarian yoghurt
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) coriander pesto
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g smoked salmon ribbons
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
- 160g (2/3 cup) pomegranate rubies
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh mixed herbs like coriander, pea shoots or basil
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh lemon wedges, to serve
For the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse several times to combine. The dressing should be light green in colour with tiny bits of dill still visible. Season lightly.
For the salad, lay the salmon ribbons on the serving platter. Scatter the red onions, pomegranate rubies and fresh herbs on top, and add freshly ground black pepper. Serve with lemon wedges on the side and drizzle the dressing over just before serving.
Serve the salad with toasted baguette slices or arrange on a bed of couscous.