Spiced pumpkin cake is sweet and beautifully spongy. Its gorgeous autumnal colour makes it that much more desirable, and the cream cheese icing is delightfully sweet. Enjoy with a warm cup of cinnamon-spiced tea.
Spiced pumpkin cake
- 330g self-raising flour
- 90g (½ cup) sugar
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground ginger
- 510g (2 cups) pumpkin, cooked and mashed
- 250ml (1 cup) sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs
- 100g butter, at room temperature
- 250ml (1 cup) cream cheese
- 240g icing sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 190°C and grease a 24cm round cake tin.
Using a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
Make a well in the centre and add the pumpkin, oil and eggs. Beat on low speed until smooth and pour the batter into the prepared tin. Bake until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, about 30 – 45 minutes. Allow to cool before icing.
For the icing, combine all the ingredients and mix well with a hand blender until smooth. Spread the icing over the cooled cake.