Spicy grilled pork chops with caramelised onion and pineapple salsa
- 7,5ml (1½ tsp) crushed green chilli
- 10ml (2 tsp) crushed garlic
- 5ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 7,5ml (1½ tsp) ground cinnamon
- a pinch of ground black pepper
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 160g brown onion, diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- 1 medium pineapple, cored and diced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 pork shoulder chops (+- 500g)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- green beans, to serve
For the pork, combine the chilli, garlic, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and cayenne in a bowl. Rub this onto the meat, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for an hour to marinate.
For the salsa, heat a pan over medium heat. Heat the oil and add the onion. Fry until onion is soft and slightly caramelised, 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and pineapple, and fry for another minute. Stir in the sugar until melted. Allow to caramelise for a minute or two. Stir in the sage and remove from the heat. Season.
Heat a griddle pan until hot. Fry the meat for 3 – 4 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Season.
Serve the salsa warm on top of the meat with green beans on the side.