Spicy kale, pea and couscous fritters with an avocado, coconut and dill dipping sauce
- KALE, PEA & COUSCOUS FRITTERS
- 100g couscous
- 250g frozen peas, defrosted
- 75g kale leaves
- 130g firm tofu, chopped
- 3 small green chillies
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) chives, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) cake flour + extra, to coat
- oil, to shallow-fry
- AVOCADO, COCONUT & DILL DIP
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 180ml (¾ cup) coconut milk
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh dill
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- microherbs, to garnish (optional)
For the fritters, add just enough boiling water to cover the couscous. Cover with cling film and allow the water has been absorbed, about 5 minutes. Loosen the couscous with a fork.
Place the peas and kale in a pot. Add 250ml (1 cup) hot water and bring to a boil. Simmer until tender, 8 – 10 minutes, then strain. Refresh in cold water. Add the peas and kale to a food processor together with the tofu, chillies, spring onion, chives, garlic, salt and sugar, and purée until fine. Stir in the couscous and cake flour and allow to cool, 20 minutes.
Form 20 fritters by rolling the mixture into balls and then lightly flattening them. Dip each ball in the extra flour to coat entirely.
Heat the oil in a large pan. Once very hot, fry the fritters off in 2 batches until crispy, 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towel.
For the dip, place everything in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste. Serve the fritters with the sauce on the side and garnish with microherbs, if desired.