These spicy kebabs make a brilliant summer lunch.
TO DRINK (F&HE): The natural sweetness of riesling will harmonise well with the subtle spice of the kebabs. Try Ross Gower Rhine Riesling.
Spicy kofta kebabs
- 500g lamb mince
- a small bunch of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- zest of 1 lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground coriander (optional)
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground chilli (optional)
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground cumin (optional)
- 4 tortilla wraps
- 1 round lettuce, leaves washed and dried
- olive oil, to drizzle (optional)
- lemon juice, to taste (optional)
- 60ml (¼ cup) natural yogurt
- 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
For the kebabs, place all the ingredients and the spices, if using, in a big bowl and mix well.
Divide the mixture into 4 equal pieces. Using 4 soaked bamboo skewers and damp hands, shape the meat around and along each skewer, pressing little indents into the meat as you go for a nice texture.
Grill the kebabs until golden and cooked through for 8 – 10 minutes, then push to the cool side of the barbecue and warm the tortillas next to them for 30 seconds.
Transfer the tortillas to plates and top each with a little lettuce. Drizzle with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, if using. Slip the meat off the skewers and break it up. Spoon over a blob of yogurt and drizzle over any resting juices. Sprinkle over some chopped chilli for an extra kick and tuck in. Delicious!